Friday, July 23, 2010

How do you sleep as a family?

My children are now 4 and 2 years old. Since the birth of my first child, I think I have tried every sleeping behavior adaption method that could be found on the internet as well as in parenting books.

My child was just not an easy sleeper.

Yes! He is probably highly strung like his mother is. (I used to hate that word when my mother used it on me when I was little, but I have walked a long path around through neurotic, emotional and over-sensitive, and I have come back around to preferring the label "highly strung" if I am going to be boxed at all. At least it has something musical about it!).

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that I tried dummies, teddies, pick up put down, rocking to sleep, leaving to scream, Ferber-ising and countless other methods with my first child. With my second child I gave up trying and had her in bed with us for most of her first two years. Ironically enough, she is the better sleeper of the two now.

Four years later, I still don't sleep alone with my husband. On most nights I end up in one of the children's beds, and at some stage in the night the other one joins us. If this does not happen, then our son at least gets into bed with both of us. And as we cuddle up together under our duvets, after having played Red Indians all afternoon, I am grateful that none of those methods worked.

Early stages of childhood feel like they are going to go on forever. Now I know that these cuddling close times are going to end, and that I had better hold on to them while they are here!

How do you sleep best? We would love to hear your comments, (and to give you any advice you may need about what duvet or pillow to choose).

No comments: